[mythtv] MythMusic metadata read/write rewrite... stumbling block....

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Oct 24 16:17:44 UTC 2004

Hello,

thor wrote:
>>I've attached a patch, but it's only really for the sake of looking as
>>it's still got a few problems.
>

>  Great to hear you're still working on this and making progress.

Yeah, I want these changes eventually in CVS, but I've not got that much
time to spend on it, hense the relativly slow progress ;)

>>Vorbis Comments in a FLAC stream seem to be a
>>little odd in that they work fine on first write and then the file just
>>grows there after.
>
>  You are probably just adding more headers. ogg/vorbis is very flexible this
> way. I forget the details, but there is a way to overwrite an existing
> tag:data pair rather than just add another.

It probably is something like that. It does seem to make the file
invalid tho' (mplayer wanting nothing to do with it!), so I suspect
something a little more dangerous than just repeating the tags. Like I
say, it's pretty much just a copy->paste at the mo', so I'll investigate
later.

>>However, even if I do patch libid3tag, I need a shorter term workaround
>>as it'll take a while for my id3tag patch to filter through to real
>>environments. So I really need to get LAME writing it's header size
>>correctly. Should I just post process the LAME file and write the header
>>size correctly? THis shoudl be relativly simple.
>>

>  Sounds sensible. You might want to have a look at how easy tag does things:
>
>   http://easytag.sourceforge.net/
>
>  I'm not familiar with the code base, but I use it and it always seems to work
> properly.

Well, unfortunatly I don't think this can help as it has different
dependances.

ldd /usr/bin/easytag | grep id3
         libid3-3.8.so.3 => /usr/lib/libid3-3.8.so.3 (0x40597000)

ldd /usr/lib/mythtv/plugins/libmythmusic.so | grep id3
         libid3tag.so.0 => /usr/lib/libid3tag.so.0 (0x401fc000)

So unless I'm allowed to make mythmusic dependant on libid3 then I don't
fancy my chances!! From what I've read on this list, new dependancies
are not generally favoured.

What's your take on this? For what it's worth, I'd be very happy to
recode the ID3 stuff to use libid3. I've actually programmed with it
before for another project so it should be easy enough to knock
something up. But it does mean the dreaded extra dependancy!!

Col.