[mythtv] Bug in 0.16 scheduler?

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 21:05:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 07:33:38PM +0200, Thomas B?rkel wrote:
> David Engel wrote:
> What I propose is, that it first should ignore all priorities and try to
> schedule all shows sorted by starting time. And only if that causes a
> conflict, it should go the full approach, as it does now (as explained
> by Bruce). OK, maybe the tuner priority must be taken in account, but
> not the show, recording type or channel priorities.

Priorities, especially the implied ones, have to be taken into
account.  Remember, one of the goals was to make the scheduler
deterministic.  The implied priorities were chosen so the scheduler
would generally do the right thing.  In your case, it didn't work out.

> >sure the scheduler doesn't get into an infinite loop or take an
> >inordinately long time when exhaustively trying every combination of
> >program and tuner.
>
> That is not, what I was saying.

You didn't read between the lines. :) No matter what order things are
tried, eventually something won't fit and some level of backtracking
is needed to get the best fit.  It's the backtracking that is hard --
deciding in what order to retry things and how much to retry.  If the
current scheduler is going to be improved, that is where it needs to
be done, but I don't have the time nor interest to do it right now.

> Please see above. If I am talking nonsense, feel free to say so.

No, you're not talking nonsense.  What you are doing, however, is
reinforcing my assertion that no matter how good the scheduler is,
somebody will always be able to find a case where it doesn't do what
they want.

David
--
David Engel