[mythtv] Bug in 0.16 scheduler?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 21:25:35 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 16:01, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> HI!
>
> On the evening of friday 15th, I have the following schedule, where
> Myth sees a conflict, but there is none:
>
> #1 ch  6: 07:35 - 08:20, record every day at this time, enc 1
> #2 ch 20: 08:10 - 09:25, record all on this channel,    enc 2
> #3 ch 20: 09:10 - 10:25, record all on this channel,    Conflict
> #4 ch 19: 10:00 - 12:30, record only this showing,      enc 1
>
> Show #2 is being rerun 3 days later (this showing has an "E"), but
> that does not help the scheduler.
>
> But even without rerun, it could easily record everything with my 2
> tuner cards:
>
> #1 enc 1
> #2 enc 2
> #3 enc 1
> #4 enc 2
>
> Now comes the funny thing: If I set #4 to "record all on this
> channel" (it's a movie that is being rerun on 19th), then the
> conclict disappears and it records everything on the same day, like
> it should (like in my suggestion above).
>
> Is this a bug or am I missing something?

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-)

You haven't figured in priority.  Because show #4 is a "record only this
showing" type of recording, it has a higher priority than show #3.
Since it has a higher priority, it has dibs on enc1.  When you change
it to a "record all on this channel" type, its priority becomes equal
to (or lower than) show #3, so the scheduler can choose which tuners to
allocate in order to best resolve things.

Whether you consider that to be a bug or not depends upon your point of
view... the scheduler is quite a nice piece of work & handles a lot of
amazing situations very well, but it's not perfect.  You might say that
this is a flaw -- you really should be able to have a show recorded
when there is a perfectly good tuner available.  However, tweaking the
scheduler logic in this area (tuner preference) may be no small matter;
I don't know, since I'm not familiar with the code, just what's been
discussed on the list.

-JAC