[mythtv] Running with no sound card

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Mon Nov 22 17:26:17 UTC 2004

On 22 Nov 2004, at 8:18 AM, Roger James wrote:

> I have been successfully running Myth on a box without a sound card,
> using
> the tv-out facility of a PVR-350 for both video and audio. When I try
> this
> with a recent CVS build I now get warnings saying that that /dev/dsp
> cannot
> be opened and asking if I want to continue without sound. If I continue
> sounds works as expected via the PVR-350.
>
> Looking at the code, I cannot see a straightforward way to disable this
> warning.

I haven't worked with the relevant code, and I don't even have a 350,
but it looks like the problem is in NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp.  In
OpenFile, it sets disableaudio when an IVTV decoder is in use.  In
StartPlaying, it ignores the disableaudio setting if we're in the IVTV
decoder case, and tries to open an audio device anyway.

Question for anyone knowledgeable: Is this designed so that 350 users
can optionally use other audio output?  If so, the attached patch
allows the open to fail silently for PVR-350 users.  This should help
Roger's situation, but I'm not at all certain that it's the best way to
solve this problem.

- Jeremiah