[mythtv] mythrecipe

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Tue Nov 9 20:45:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:56:24 -0800, Chris Petersen  wrote:
> > Also have you looked at the nutritional value aspect of it? I really
> >  like that feature in recipezaar but I can only imagine how
> > complicated it would be. I did a quick search and found the USDA
> > Nutrient Database for Standard Reference here:
> > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/sr17.html This is how
> >  recipezaar calculates there information:
> > http://www.recipezaar.com/help/nutrition.zsp However like they say,
> > this is still just an approximation and there are some things that
> > will trip it up but I like the idea of implementing something like
> > this.
>
> Yup, it's always been part of my plan to do this.  I'd also like to get
> a weight-watchers-esque point system added.  my wife knows the formula
> they use, and I figured it'd be cool to add in for those people who need
> to watch their weight (won't get into the diet war, but weight watchers
> is probably the only "good" commercial diet system out there)

I thought I'd chime in here.  I really like the idea of having a
recipe guide built into myth.  If there is anything I can do to help,
let me know (though perhaps the 'too many cooks' analogy applies at
this stage).  Anyhow, my wife is diabetic, and one of the things she
must do is to count carbs (insulin dosage is based on carb intake, NOT
calorie intake).  Now theoretically, with a linked list of
ingredients, the recipe app could calculate this, but it gets somewhat
tricky as measurements can come in all sorts of flavors that would
need to be calibrated (valume vs weight being the most obvious).
Actually, the best option would be to be able to retrieve both carbs
and fat content per serving (high quantities of fat delay carb
absorption).  Anyhow, as I said, if there is anything I can do from an
implementation perspective, let me know.

.Geoff