[mythtv] Mythbackend: Large ni CPU usage when idle ?

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Nov 2 18:59:23 UTC 2004

Paul Andreassen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 07:59, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>
>>I am running the CVS version (2004-10-28) of the mythbackend on a 1G
>>Celeron system using Fedora 2. The system has two DVB-T cards installed
>>and I am running a couple of Myth clients on separate machines.
>>Generally all is working fine. However I have noticed that after viewing
>>some recordings the mythbackend box is showing the CPU nice usage to
>>be about 56% using "top". The "top" process listing does not show any
>>particular process using the CPU in the %CPU column. If I kill and
>>restart mythbackend nice usage goes down to 0 again until I watch
>>another recording.
>>
>>Any ideas on:
>>1. Why is mythbackend using the CPU with nice priority when idle ?
>>2. Why does "top" not show mythbackend using the CPU in %CPU ?
>

> G'day,
>
> I've seen something similar when the mythbackend is doing commercial
> flagging.  If you use 'ps auxm' it will show threads related to
> processes.  Commercial flagging run with about 50% when set to low
> priority and niced at 100% when medium.  I'm not sure of the detail but
> you can check the code.  'top' for some reason doesn't show thread
> information. (that I know about)
>
> Paul

Thanks for the info. That would make sense with what I am seeing.
I will see if Commercial flagging is enabled and the cause.
It seems that Fedora 2's top is broken then, I would have expected to
to show the total CPU usage for all threads of each process ....

Cheers

Terry

--
   Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
   Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd