[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat May 29 16:36:34 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> FYI, each search-based recording rule that is added will slow down the
>> scheduler slightly.  This shouldn't be a problem in normal use since
>> search-base rules should be the exception rather than the norm.
>>

> Couldn't the search based scheduling just be kicked off when
> mythfilldatabase runs and when the searches change?

The scheduler has to slice and dice and juggle things each time
the scheduler runs. It's nice that he mentioned that these
do have an impact but it is in terms of 1/10s or 1/100s of a sec.
I haven't done any real benchmarking yet but I have a test db
with 6 different search rules and it is still under 1.5 sec.
Like any other rule, it's just matching things in the program
table. It's just that each "LIKE" is a bit slower than each "=".

--  bjm