[mythtv] PATCH Potential DataDirect icon solution

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon May 24 17:11:22 EDT 2004

Anduin Withers wrote:
> Updated against latest CVS.

I took a couple brief stabs at this before but didn't figure
out how to use it until this morning once I figured out that
mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map needed to be run as a
preperatory step. You may have given a brief set of step in an
earlier message but I was unable to find anything in the archives.

So, good news is that there were no compile problems and I did
eventually get icons in the GUI for a database that didn't
previously have any icom paths in the channel (success, right? =).

Here is what I did.

The tarball has three files, the patch, a working version of a
master list, and a script to grab icon info from zap2it.

Applied and installed the patch.

Copied the master_iconmap.xml to "iconmap.xml" in my current
directory and ran "mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map". I see
that it can also take a filename on the commandline.

: bjm at moktoo ; mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map
Importing icon mapping from iconmap.xml...

This step prepares the database but does not yet update the
channel.icon field.

Next run "mythfilldatabase" which then included output like this:

Main temp tables populated.  Updating myth channels...
Updating icons for sourceid: 1
Updating channel icon for chanid: 1018
Updating channel icon for chanid: 1020
Updating channel icon for chanid: 1022
Updating channel icon for chanid: 1023
Updating channel icon for chanid: 1024

Started a mythbackend and mythfrontend against this database
and...

Saw the channel icons for the stations that had matched up.

Next. I've been trying to test the grap script but has small
hiccups. Running "./na_icons_to_icon_map.pl" says "Generating
dni_iconmap.xml..." but returns instantly and the file only
contains a couple tags and no info.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<iconmappings>

</iconmappings>

Running "./na_icons_to_icon_map.pl --help" also say "Generating
dni_iconmap.xml..." but returns with no info and no help text.

Following the help text in the file:

$ ./na_icons_to_icon_map.pl --grab --share=/tmp --out=icons.xml
Calling tv_grab_na_icons...
Generating icons.xml...

Did create a good XML file and output stuff like:

choose one (default=0,Cox Communications - Las Vegas - Digital): 1
Stored     ANIMAL in /tmp/icons/ANIMAL.url
Stored      ARTSP in /tmp/icons/ARTSP.url
Stored       CNBC in  /tmp/icons/CNBC.url
Stored        CNN in   /tmp/icons/CNN.url

So now what? I have the /tmp/icons/ URL files. What is the intended
method to get from this information to having the the jpg in
"ls -ltr ~/.mythtv/channels/" ?

Clearly there needs to be a simple procedure in the howto. If you
could flesh one out or send me corrections and addition to this
so I could flesh one out, that would be great.

Thanks, Anduin,

--  bjm