[mythtv] 16/9 vs 4/3 dilemma.

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Fri May 21 22:22:40 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm posting this to the dev list, because I belive that there would exist more
technical people on this list to maybe have some idea what I'm talking about.

Basically what the problem consists of is that MythTV when displaying 4/3 on a
16/9 tv it will just scale the output to fit within the 16/9 screen. Now this
causes a lot of lost information in the picture. Most new TV screens (at
least european) support the input of a signal on the scart connector, which
is just a (iirc) 12V (8V?) feed from the connected equipment. Now, using for
example the serial or parallel output it should be feasible to make a very
small and easily home-made relay to output some of the 12V feed from the
power-supply in your computer to controll this 16/9 vs 4/3 switch in the TV.
What would come next is exchanging the scaling in MythTV for the control of
this relay. Is anobody interrested in working out the details with me?

Does anybody have a clue how this is done elsewhere, if different?

Kenneth