[mythtv] Newbie questions about mpeg2->mpeg2 transcode.

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Fri May 21 10:41:14 EDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:02:32 -0400, "Britt Houser" said:
> Hey,
>
> I have a couple newbie questions about getting mpeg2->mpeg2 to encode.
>  I was using the following thread as reference.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/18050?search_string=mpeg2%20-%3E%20mpeg2;#18050

You probably want to look at the documention on transcoding here:
and
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc21.1

I am not sure you understand what the transcoder is for and how to use
it.

You can either transcode in order to remove commercials that have already
been marked and make your streams smaller, though this will only sort of
work in 0.14 (it should be better in CVS, but I haven't actually tested
it).  You do this by hitting 'X' while watching the stream (and make sure
your transcoders are configured correctly in setup).

What you were doing was generating a raw output for consumption by a tool
like mencoder.  The files are fifos (i.e 1st in, 1st out).  Thus they
will never grow in size, and the transcoder will stal unless you start
reading from those streams.

with 0.14 you shouldn't have had to update your mysql tables at all (0.14
already includes all the changes needed for transcoding).

> PS.  System is a Shuttle SV25 ( North bridge:VIA Twister-T PN133T
> South bridge:VIA 686B), with PVR250, PIII-733 and 128Mb of RAM.  I
> know there is a bug with VIA chipset which causes live-tv to freeze
> due to dma problems.  Could it be what I am seeing here?)

No, it has nothing to do with that.

.Geoff