[mythtv] Development of MythTV

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Wed May 19 21:44:23 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 08:13:26AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
>     David> This is why features occasionally get disabled or even
>     David> thrown out altogether when nobody maintains them for too
>     David> long.
>
> Is there a list of features that are thrown out?
>
> ..just in case anyone wants to resume maintaining them, and is
> prepared to update the code so it is usable again.

I'm doing this from memory without checking any facts so don't take my
word as gospel.

There used to be an "Instant Recording" feature that got broken along
the way.  If it hasn't been deleted, it certainly isn't enabled
currently.  It does get some lip service every once in a while, but
nobody has stepped up to fix it.

Transcoding was intentionally disabled at one point because it was
severely broken and nobody was working to fix it.  It eventually did
get fixed and was re-enabled.

Manual recording has occasionally fallen into various states of
disrepair.  I don't believe it's ever been in danger of being
disabled, but it does have some issues that nobody is currently
motivated enough to address.

DVB support seems to languish quite a bit since none of the regular
contributors can/do use it.  Again, I don't think this code is in
danger of being removed, but it could certainly use someone to take
ownership of it, and more imporatantly, continue to support it.

David
--
David Engel
gigem at comcast.net