[mythtv] Video Conferencing Plugin

Paul Volkaerts paul.volkaerts at lineone.net
Mon May 3 07:26:50 EDT 2004

> It'd would be great if I could call up home when I'm out and about and
> have Asterisk answer with an interactive voice menu as it does now
> (press 1 to leave a message, etc), but with one of the options being
> 'press x for TV guide... and so on. Two obvious ways jump out at me as
> to how this could be implemented. Firstly, it could be done through
> Asterisk voice menus with festival and access to the myth database, or
> alternatively mythbackend could answer sip calls and provide the tv
> guide info itself. I guess the first would be easier to implement but
> would then require asterisk.

I have this bit already working without Asterisk. The Mythfrontend SIP
client auto-answers after ringing for a period and it downloads a
VXML-formatted web-page which prompts the user something like "Hit hash for
options or hold to leave a message".  Hitting hash then takes you through a
password menu and if you get through that it points to the standard myth-web
pages where I have added a theme called "VXML" which formats the pages to be
read by the TTS engine.

Where this needs more work is; if you have multiple SIP clients around the
home, whether that is multiple Mythfrontends or other things too; you are
probably only going to expose one to the Internet (i.e. your router will
point port 5060 at a particular device). So in this case you need
something - maybe Asterisk or maybe a MythBackend addition - that
distributes the call to the right client.