[mythtv] Cable box as HDTV Tuner?

Tony Brummett tony at blight.com
Sun May 2 22:50:21 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 08:13:27PM -0400, weaselgod wrote:
> Ok, I was reading this article.
>
> *http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040426151111599
>
> *and it got me thinking that it should be possible to use a firewire
> connection to the box to control the channel and recieve HDTV (and maybe
> other channels) output in MPEP format over the firewire.

I'm actually looking into this, but it's been slow going for a number of
reasons.

I have a program that Dan Dennedy from the AVS forums wrote that can
capture a stream from a Motorola 6200 box over firewire, and I'm modifying
the hdtvrecorder class with the firewire code to get the job done.  It
seems like I'm getting close, but then sometimes you don't know for sure
until after it's working :)

If anyone else has the equipment and would like to help out, let me know
and I'll share what I've got so far.

-- Tony  tony at blight.com