[mythtv] Proposed MythMusic Interface Improvements

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Sun May 2 20:47:06 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Tako Schotanus wrote:
>
>> 1. Maybe because I don't have more buttons on my control?
>

> Then use Chan up/down just like Tivo, Replay et al.
>
>> 2. Maybe because even if I did have more buttons they would hardly be
>> labelled PageUp/Down so other people would have to follow a course
>> just to use MythTV
>

> Well that's a given, but anyone who's familiar with other PVRs, or can
> listen to you say "use chanup/down for page up/down" will grok it
> immediately.
>
>> 3. Maybe because I think MythTV should work well enough with just
>> Up/Down/Left/Right/Select/Menu and Info buttons?
>

> So the grid guide and ever other piece of UI should only use single
> movement arrows keys, I've got several hundred channels available to
> me, no thanks.

Where did I say that we should _remove_ support for those keys? Could
you point out to me where I suggested such a thing?
What I _did_ say is that I think it should be possible to use Myth using
only those keys (forgot ESC btw) and use it well.
An interface where you can select more than one letter (e.g. like in the
TiVo screenshot that was in the original message) would be perfect and
would also help people like you who have large lists to browse through.
You can't be saying that you think selecting more than one letter to
search for a program wouldn't help you, now can't you?

And even though you say that people who know other PVRs or who know how
to do ChUp/ChDown will find it easy I beg to differ, I know my MythTV
well enough and still I find it difficult to control it, basically
because a) my remote doesn't come labelled with the actions that I need
for Myth 9no ESC, no MENU, no INFO etc) and b) because there are just
too may of them to remember easily. So a) and b) combined make me press
the wrong buttons way too often. So I really like it that each time
there are more and more menus that will allow me to just use MENU, UP.
DOWN and SELECT (like the OSD menu we have nowadays). So having a
Program Finder (or Music Finder or whatever) that used only simple
buttons to get things doen would be extemely usefull IMO.

-Tako

>> Please THINK before shooting your mouth off and start assigning blame
>> to people.
>

> I wasn't shooting off at the mouth.  I was speaking from experience
> with Myth and numerous other PVRs.    But you know what, you're right
> it's stupid to have page up/down mapped to keys on a remote after all
> it MUCH more efficient to use single arrows everywhere and then come
> bitch about having to do so.

I didn't bitch about having to press single arrow keys, you might want
to reread my message, I just suggested that the current Program FInder
interface is not as perfect as you think it is, even with PgUp/Down
buttons I would still hate it because the interface just screams to be
allowed to enter more than one letter.

-Tako