[mythtv] scheduler bug - program depth and tuner availability

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 23:12:36 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:14:53PM -0700, Craig Rindy wrote:
> Program D is not recorded due to conflicts according to priorities, which
> is understandable.  Theoretically, Program F could be recorded, but the
> scheduler decided this:
>
> A on 1
> B on 2
> C on 1
> D (conflict)
> E on 1
> F (conflict)

You probably won't like this, but this is broken as designed.

Primarily to avoid potential infinite loops, but also to keep things
simple and relatively speedy, the main scheduling is done in a single,
first come, first served pass.  In addition, the optional Reschedule
Higher Priorities pass only tries a single, straight forward attempt
to do its job for the same reasons.  In other words, the scheduler
does not attempt to backtrack nor try every conceivable combination of
programs and tuner cards.  If someone would like to add more advanced
scheduling options, I will gladly review the changes and commit them
if they look sound.

Now, that does nothing to solve your problem, so here are a few
suggestions that might help.

Boost the priority of one or more programs.  With the right choices
you should be able to make the programs fall into the right slots you
want.

Explicitly give your non-DirecTV OTA input a higher preference.  This
will effectively try to keep your DirecTV card free for programs that
can only record on it.

Implicitly give your non-DirecTV OTA input a higher preference by
deleting all inputs then re-adding them in preference order.  This
will do the same as above but without the other effects of having
inputs with different preferences.

David
--
David Engel