[mythtv] Strange scheduler bug

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Mar 8 17:54:01 EST 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>> It still could always add to oldrecorded as soon as something
>> records but auto-expired could remove the oldrecorded entry when
>> something expires. This would probably need to be an option
>> because some people may see it as they never bothered to watch it
>> this time so why should they record it again. Others may see it as
>> I'm out if disk space for now but I haven't seen it so I may want
>> to watch it the next time.
>

> We'd need a "watched" flag for that to work well...

I don't see any benefit in that. The Auto Expire flag can be
flipped off if you've watched something and decided to keep it
If you watch something and decide to keep it but then let it
auto-expire doesn't make much sense. After I watch something I
either delete it or I flip off auto-expire and move it to a "Keep"
recording group. Everything else is unwatched.

> Hmmm, with a watched flag you could change the the auto expire so that
> watched recordings were a week older than they really are.  That way
> unwatched recordings could get a priority boost.

I don't get it. When the disks fill up would you want to expire
things that you watched but didn't delete because, presumably,
you might want to see part of it again or things that you've
never watched? What's special about a week? I don't see a reason
for any mysterious behavior or creeping featurism here.

Either you watch something or you don't. You delete it or you
don't. The question is if you don't delete something until it
auto-expires, should the system re-record it in the future. I
suspect the answer won't be the same for everyone.

--  bjm