[mythtv] Next Scheduler Patch

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Wed Mar 3 01:54:36 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:09:52PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:

> Also, the other issue you mention of saving the recorded portion
> from live is often requested. If the file header of the ringbuffer
> is compatible with a recorded file, it could be as easy as renaming
> the ringbuffer file to the chanid and times from the proginfo and
> adding it to the recorded list.

I can think of a number of different ways to do this, from simple to more
exotic:

- Keep the live tv ringbuffer around when a recording starts, and let the
  user watch it until it runs out

- Add functionality to the ringbuffer so that it can be dumped into a
  recording.  This is slightly more work than copying it, since I don't
  think that the ringbuffer has a proper header (even if it does in the
  first place, it probably doesn't after it wraps)

- Reimplement the RingBuffer more like regular recordings, breaking it up
  into files based on program info, and deleting them more aggressively
  (perhaps the auto-expire functionality would be well suited to this)

Given your training wheel analogy, this seems a bit like adding fuel
injectors to the training wheels.  But perhaps one man's training wheels are
another's bicycle, and there are others out there who value live TV enough
to enhance it.

--
 - mdz