[mythtv] Next Scheduler Patch

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Tue Mar 2 18:19:40 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 02:52:56PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:47:11PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> >

> >>Nothing's been implemented, but I have been thinking about it.  I
> >>think the way to handle this is have the scheduler treat a card being
> >>used for live TV as unavailable for some amount of time(*).  This will
> >>force it to schedule around the live TV as much as possible.  Then,
> >>have the scheduler make another pass using any live TV cards as a last
> >>resort.
> >>
> >>(*)How long should this time be, 30 min., 1 hour, 2 hours, forever?
> >

> >If you want to be very clever, I'd say "until the end of the current
> >program" based on the current channel the user is watching.
>
> Right, but that doesn't really help because the ringbuffer is
> destroyed when the new recording starts. If you started watching
> something live from 3:30-4:00 but had time-shifted by 5 minutes,
> you might be prompted for the start of a 4:00 recording while you
> are in the 25th minute of the show. If you let the recording start,
> you will lose the last 5 minutes (the correct solution, for this and
> many other reason is to press "R" as soon as you decide to watch
> something to the end but it's impossible to convince everyone of
> that ;-).

Alternatively, things could be improved such that the data in the ringbuffer
isn't lost this way (either by allowing the user to finish watching, or
converting it into a recording).  Folk seem to want this for other reasons
anyway.

The correct solution, as far as I'm concerned, is to avoid watching live TV
at all. :-)

--
 - mdz