[mythtv] Ideas for high quality TV-out

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jun 29 21:11:18 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 15:48, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> > Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> >> we're all going to be using monitor style non-interlaced displays
> >> soon!
> >
> > Better tell that to the folks running 1080i...  Unless by soon you
> > mean another 20 or 30 years down the road when HDTV gets retired.
>
> Wow.  Talk about an optimist--20-30 years down the road?  ;)
>
> NTSC specification was issued in February 1953.  HDTV's ATSC (at least
> one of its 18 formats) "will" replace SDTV's NTSC in 2006/2007 (once
> again, according to the optimists/politicians).  Therefore, it will take
> at least 54 years (Feb 1953-Feb 2006) for NTSC to be replaced.

Yeah, we'll see if NTSC ever dies... However, I understand some Japanese
company (or group of companies) has some REALLY high-definition stuff,
something like 4000x3000 progressive-scan being demoed somewhere, which IIRC,
is about the resolution you need to very closely approximate movie
theater-quality film.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com