[mythtv] MythVideo + removable media question

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Tue Jun 29 12:24:30 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 19:01, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> before i switched to myth, i messed around with freevo some and one feature
> that i really liked was the ability to pop in a DVD-R with a number of divx
> movies on it, be able to browse to it in the video player and select those
> movies without having to alt+tab out or anything.  i noticed in the latest
> release there is an auto-detection for removable media, but is it possible
> to add the mount path for the DVD drive to the paths looked for movies in
> MythVideo?

Duh? Why would we want such useless functionality in mythtv itself? Just
install automount and load autofs support and set it up in somewhere. Then
create a symlink like /myth/video/dvdrom (or wherever you've set your
mythvideo to look for clips) to that dir you just set up automount to mount
the cd/dvd in. Now, you put a dvd/cd in the drive and start mythvideo -> the
dvdrom link is only valid if there is a disc in the drive, if not it won't
appear and won't get in the way. Mythvideo also wont keep the directory open
other than when it's creating the list of videos so you can eject the thing
any time you like (after your set timeout for automount is reached) and it
won't cause any problems.

Same trick is the way to mount cd/dvd over samba/nfs/whathaveyou also.