[mythtv] Can't we use Bugzilla on mythtv.org to keep things abitmore structured?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Jun 28 12:02:22 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

>> MythTv is a wonderful package.  I've had a blast getting it working
>> throughout my house (2 backends, 2 separate frontends, file server w/
>> 1.2TB,
>> Gigabit LAN, 120" projection HDTV, etc.), but my sister is still
>> flustered
>> by it, because she is not a techno-geek.  She is learning, however,
>> but she
>> stills asks why I can't be happy with just a channel change button.
>>
> Then I suggest that *you* write code for *your* sister.  That way
> other people can benefit.  That's pretty much what we all do here, we
> write code for ourselves, our wives etc. As such the product gets
> better.  It helps that developers write code they care about that has
> an impact on their usage or the usage of a loved one.

Agreed, anyone who can and wants to should be encouraged to help!

> I'd rather have a dev working on a feature he cared about over a dev
> working on feature #232 in a long list of crap someone else wants him
> to do.

This I just don't understand, this is not some paid office drone who
really doesn't care about issue #232 as long as he gets his paycheck at
the end of the month (but what kind of developer would you be if you are
like that? ;-p). We're talking about _us_ here! If I decide to do issue
#232 I'll put as much TLC into it as I can! That's because I would care
_even_though_ it is Someboy Else's Problem. Or am I being hopelessly
naive in thinking there must be more like me?

Cheers,
-Tako