[mythtv] Ideas for high quality TV-out

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Jun 28 03:36:32 EDT 2004

>>Any ideas on how to do this?
>>

>It's all been done in tvtime (tvtime.sf.net) already. Looks very nice and has
>neat field order detection etc. Too bad it takes an insane amount of cpu: On
>my athlon-xp 2000+ around 60% with 768x576 frames, couple that with what cpu
>is required to decode the mpeg2+audio.

Kerneldeint has already been integrated with Myth.  This is one of the
better deinterlacers around - better than the built in one for example.
Read up on the "filter manager" for how to enable it.

There are also already hooks to do a lot of clever filtering in Myth,
for example I would be interested in a higher quality resizing
algorithm.  This would significantly boost sharpness, and most of the
hooks have already been added to do even this

If you want to do non-interlaced playback though then you are going to
have to dig a little.  There is some support added recently for the via
decoder, but I think nvidia lacks interlaced output modes on most of
it's drivers...

Ed W