[mythtv] 0.15.1 memory leak?

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Thu Jun 24 14:30:59 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:31:48 -0400, Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> wrote:

>On Thursday 24 June 2004 11:53 am, Ken Bass wrote:
>> I'm running 0.15.1 and notice after several days of running, things get
>> really slow. There appears to be a memory leak somewhere which is causing
>> swapping after some time (typically 2 days). Is anyone else having this
>> problem? Has anyone sucessfully run 'valgrind' or a similar memory profiler
>> on either the front or backend? Lastly, could this be ivtv?
>
>My 'production' box has been running 0.15.1 since the release, without a
>restart.
>
>> Any suggestions on debugging this?
>
>It would help if you had actual details on, say, which process was leaking.

 I'm not sure which oen. The machine slows down considerably over time.
Running top at that time shows its swapping. The specific entries for
mythfrontend, mythbackend prcocesses dont seem to indicate a large mem
usage.

 I'm not certain of this, but it seems to happen when watching Live tv a lot
versus just record/playback.

 Is there any other way (perhaps using /proc) to determine where the memory
is going? I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm not quite sure of the correct tool
to use.