[mythtv] RE: [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Thu Jun 24 11:37:00 EDT 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:24:53 +0200, Andreas Sahlbach <andreas at sahlbach.com>
wrote:

>1) I'm feeling not very well with the reactions of Isaac. Saw this before
>with the wiki-project for myhttv. I have the feeling that some people
>donšt really think about the consequences when they put their project under
>GPL. Of course project owner have their own opinions about their "babies".
>But they have to react a bit more neutral. Putting the project under GPL
>means that the project is given to the community. If they can't handle this
>they shouldn't have made it open source. Examples for such projects that
>suffer about bad "leaders": Xfree or PhpNuke.

  As someone who runs a server used by many people, these things can keep
you up at night.  In the end, if I were one of the main developers (I
contributed some minor Caller ID and notification code so my name is in
there too) I probably wouldn't be too worried about losing a law suit
against me based on some theory of guilt by association--I would be more
worried about having to PAY some damn lawyer to defend me.  As Voltaire once
said:  "I was financially ruined twice in my life:  Once when I lost a law
suit, and once when I won one."

  I think Isaac is on the record. If someone else want to use their own
resources to keep a package up to date that is compatible that should be
their prerogative. Personally, I don't think taking a 'gray area' issue like
this posting it to /. was smart. Just because its GPL doesn't mean that
Isaac needs to provide links or server space for the package.