[mythtv] RE: [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

Andreas Sahlbach andreas at sahlbach.com
Tue Jun 22 16:24:53 EDT 2004

I also agree that you handled it the right way. And I would like to add
some more points:

1) I'm feeling not very well with the reactions of Isaac. Saw this before
with the wiki-project for myhttv. I have the feeling that some people
donšt really think about the consequences when they put their project under
GPL. Of course project owner have their own opinions about their "babies".
But they have to react a bit more neutral. Putting the project under GPL
means that the project is given to the community. If they can't handle this
they shouldn't have made it open source. Examples for such projects that
suffer about bad "leaders": Xfree or PhpNuke.

2) There is more in the world than US. Mythtv is used in several countries
and fortunately most of the countries are not ruled by Disney and Co. While
stealing music and movies is of course a crime, we don't really care about
MPAA or RIAA. Using P2P or Torrents doesn't mean you have to go to jail just
because some rich people want it this way. There are several legal uses for
P2P, especially for Torrents.

I appreciate the hard work and the time people and especially Isaac put into
this project. This is one of the most useful Linux projects I've ever seen.
But GPL is GPL and censorship is censorship. Please be consequent...

Andreas