[mythtv] cle266 XvMC support?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 22 15:08:40 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 02:30 pm, Herbie Hopkins wrote:
> The unichrome drivers (unichrome.sf.net) now provide an XvMC extension
> for the cle266 chipset which provides an IMO much cleaner way of
> utilising the hw mpeg decoder than using libddmpeg. For instance there
> is no need to run applications with root privileges to utilise said
> driver.

There'd be no need to run apps as root if the driver was written properly in
the first place.

> Are there any plans to implement such code within mythtv? I would have
> though that this would be semi trivial since support for nvidia XvMC is
> already present. An example mp2decoder can be obtained from the above
> site.
>
> Support for via_v4l_drv/libddmpeg seems to be broken with the latest drm
> modules from dri.sf.net and afaik there are no plans to fix this.
> Moreover support for libddmpeg will probably be removed from these
> drivers at some point anyway so I think would be worth adding such code.

It looks like all they've done is to rename the libddmpeg functions with XvMC
in front of them and add them as an 'extension'.  It's _not_ straight XvMC.
Probably wouldn't be that hard to switch to, though.  I certainly won't be
the one touching that code, though. =)

Isaac