[mythtv] A couple of mfd/mfe questions

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Mon Jun 14 15:20:35 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 14:32, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> So, I thought I'd poke around and play with the much-anticipated mfd/mfe
> framework.  I built the appropriate pieces and fired them up on my Myth
> box, and lo! I had music :-)

	Hurray.

> Now, I'd like to be able to access the content from my home Myth box
> running mfd from my work PC running mfe.  I use ssh port-forwarding; I
> forwarded ports 2342 - 2345 from my work PC to my Myth box.  Using a
> Java DAAP client (One2OhMyGod), I'm able to see the collection my mfd
> is sharing and play tracks, but the client is very basic and gives me
> no control over playlists or track ordering, etc.

	Hmm, that's odd. Daap is (generally) port 3689, so One2OhMyGod should
not have been able to talk to your mfd at home (at least, not over
DAAP).

	Also, you cannot edit or control playlists across DAAP. That is, you
can't edit, create, or reorder a list on a remote DAAP service.

	Fortunately, the mfd/mfe protocol will allow you to edit/create
playlists etc. Not quite done yet, but soon. While the mfd does serve
out music content as DAAP to anyone who asks for it (ie. iTunes), mfe
<--> mfd interactions use a protocol called mdcap.

>   Using jTunes4 or mfe
> under the same setup, it can't even find the DAAP server (mfd).  Any
> suggestions?

	You need to "advertise" services. Zeroconfig/Rendezvous does this
automatically on the local LAN (anything before a router hop). That's
why when you run mfe and mfd at home, they can automatically find each
other. Similarily mutliple mfd's (ie. multiple myth boxes) can
automatically find each other and access each other's content.

	Since there's no way for multicast-DNS (what zeroconfig uses) to work
across wider networks, you'll need to run a little rendezvous proxy.
This is a small bit of code which will advertize the existense of mfd
services (mfdp on 2342, daap on 3689, etc.) from your remote (ie. home)
computer to your local (ie. office) network. You can get such a piece of
code from Apple:

	http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/index.html

- thor