[mythtv] [ULMO@Q.NET: mythtv-backend: memory leak]

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Sat Jun 12 01:00:07 EDT 2004

It doesn't leak for me, of course.  Forwarding your message to the list,
since it's not specific to the Debian packages.

----- Forwarded message from "Bradley W. Allen" <ULMO at Q.NET> -----

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:14:58 -0700
From: "Bradley W. Allen" <ULMO at Q.NET>
To: mdz at debian.org
Subject: mythtv-backend: memory leak

Package: mythtv-backend
Version: 0.15.1-1
Severity: critical
Justification: breaks unrelated software

Heavy swapping breaks other packages.

Here is mythbackend running after about half an hour:

  93732k: PID 19448 (/usr/bin/mythbackend)

Here is mythbackend running for an unknown period of time, probably
before I created a crontab entry to kill it four times a day:

 402740k: PID  7773 (/usr/bin/mythbackend)

Here is mythbackend running before half an hour ago: (I found out just
now that I had disabled cron so that it wouldn't start processes that
slow the system down, so the backend wasn't getting killed four times
a day like it should have been.)

 295924k: PID 17308 (/usr/bin/mythbackend)

Here's another one:

 153268k: PID 11804 (/usr/bin/mythbackend)

It just starts at around 70MB, then goes up and up and up
continuously.  It actually keeps this memory active, since it starts
swapping, making the whole system stop working well, and thrash, and
put unnecessary and unacceptable wear and tear on the hard disk.  That
system only has 128MB RAM in it; mythbackend ought to fit comfortably
within that and leave some room for other stuff; e.g., 70MB would
leave a whole 58MB.

It also starts recording programs incorrectly when it swaps
(obviously, since it starts waiting around for memory to swap in
and/or out).

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (990, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.6
Locale: LANG=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US

Versions of packages mythtv-backend depends on:
ii  cron            3.0pl1-83                management of regular background p
ii  debconf         1.4.25                   Debian configuration management sy
ii  libartsc0       1.2.3-1                  aRts Sound system C support librar
ii  libc6           2.3.2.ds1-12             GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  libfreetype6    2.1.7-2                  FreeType 2 font engine, shared lib
ii  libgcc1         1:3.3.3-9                GCC support library
ii  liblame0        3.96-0.1                 Shared library for mp3 encoding
ii  libmyth-0.15    0.15.1-1                 Common library code for MythTV and
ii  libqt3c102-mt   3:3.2.3-2                Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime v
ii  libstdc++5      1:3.3.3-9                The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
ii  libxv1          4.3.0-7                  X Window System video extension li
ii  mythtv-common   0.15.1-1                 A personal video recorder applicat
ii  wget            1.9.1-4                  retrieves files from the web
ii  xlibs           4.3.0-0ds4v2.0.ipv6.r0.1 X Window System client libraries

-- debconf information:
* mythtv/run_setup:
  mythtv/create_v4l_devs: true

----- End forwarded message -----