[mythtv] vps once again...

Lucas Meijer lucas at mach8.nl
Fri Jul 23 05:22:29 EDT 2004

>>Making a recording stop when receiving the next vps is pretty
>>straightforward. But when do you start? In order to receive vps's you
>>need to be tuned into the channel. So you should already have a card
>>listening for vps before the show starts. How much before? an hour? 3
>>hours? a day?
>
> By the standard, a day (if i'm informed correctly). And from your other
> remarks I suspect you already knew that ;)

Actually I didn't. The problem I see is just how to code this into myth.
What if we have a card listening for the vps, but then a user starts
watching livetv on another channel? or when I have 3 recordings
scheduled on one day, each on a different channel. One at 16:00, one at
18:00 and one at 20:00..   I would need 3 cards in order to detect the
vps's..

All those worries aside, I think the suggestion mentioned previously
isn't a bad one at all: Since programs usually get scheduled later
instead of earlier, just start recording say 10 minutes before the
program is supposed to start, and when you receive the vps, set a marker
there (or cut it already right there, not sure if thats possible).

I think I can easily live with not supporting vps when a program moves
to an earlier time.

Another concern would be on what to do if the program gets moved an hour
back, and because of that now conflicts with another (possible also
vps'd) recording.

Ugh.. brain hurts :p

Bye, Lucas