[mythtv] Fwd: 2 small feature requests

skrpub skrpub at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 00:07:44 EST 2004

Bruce Markey wrote:

> Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>> Global postroll has always been optional, and ignored if another
>> recording (on the same channel or not) conflicts.  Per-show postroll
>> is not optional, and is taken into account when scheduling recordings.
>

> This, and other threads like it, suggest that there is a
> problem with the labeling. Global "pre-roll" to try to start
> the encoder early in order to catch the first few second and
> per-show "pre-roll" to force a change in the scheduled record
> time are very different things and should not be confused.
> Unlike yesterday, I'll propose a solution to an anticipated
> problem rather than just checking it in =).
>
> I've modified the advanced options page to label the per-show
> offsets as "Start Early (minutes)" and "End Late (minutes):".
> I don't believe any internal changes need to be made at this
> point but this should help users to make a clear distinction
> between these two separate features. If there are no objections
> or better ideas I'd like to go ahead and make this change.
>
> --  bjm

That is a little clearer. Unfortunately, it still doesn't handle the
case where the networks (or listing) offsets a show by a bit. If the
scheduler does get an overhaul, that would be somthing it might want to
handle.

In the mean time, how about allowing negative values? (I didn't try
that, so if it works, great!) That would work for shows where you know
the first few minutes are just rehash of what happened last time, or for
lots of sit-coms where they end the show, have a block of commercials,
and come back just to run credits, then still more commercials. It would
also work for when you don't believe, or don't care to follow, the
listing, and want to shift the timeslot.

Simon