[mythtv] Re: Regarding the MediaMVP

James L. Reese jim at hosemore.net
Tue Jan 27 06:29:11 EST 2004

I think you and I are of the same mind.

I've played with the software that's out there for the MVP and I'm convinced the easiest and cleanest way to interface the MVP to MythTV is to do a variation of what Hauppauge did in Windows.

I have never played with the native Windows app because I have no windows machines to test on, but after several days of hacking around with the MVP using the experimental linux and native MVP software, a server running on another computer being controlled by the MVP certainly seems to me the best approach.

I thought about doing what you're talking about, samba sharing my myth video directory and working out some quickie conversion to create symlinks to the video files which name the file something descriptive.   Even though this would probably serve my needs, I want a native linux solution.

I think running mythfrontend on a computer with the MVP acting as a remote display and control is possible using the existing experimental software as a base.  That is the end toward which I'm working.  I see no reason why the full functionality of myth, with the exception of the DVD and Game modules, isn't possible.

Unfortunately, my C++ programming skills are lacking and I need a much better understanding of how mythfrontend works than I currently have.  I'm hoping some folks who know the software better will take an interest in this.  I'll certainly do all I can to help move forward.

-----

Jim