[mythtv] Filter documentation?

Andrew Mahone andrewmahone at eml.cc
Mon Jan 26 13:06:17 EST 2004

On Monday 26 January 2004 09:34, D Banerjee wrote:
> Is this because denoise3d doesn't like interlacing or other?

Denoise3d filters in 3 directions, vertical, horizontal, and temporal (vs
previous frame).  The temporal and horizontal filters should still be
effective without deinterlacing, and the vertical will work  where there's no
motion, but combing from interlaced video will stop the vertical filter from
working well on that part of the image.

Deinterlacing can also help produce better results at lower bitrates.  Combing
is bad for the video codec, because it adds a lot of extra high-frequency
data to encode.  Unless I missed something, and MythTV is using interlaced
encoding when it records.  The ffmpeg encoder *should* be able to support
this, I don't think rtjpeg can without some reworking.
--
  Andrew Mahone
  andrewmahone AT eml DOT cc