[mythtv] Mplayer PVR-350

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Mon Jan 26 11:00:22 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 16:45, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> > The mplayer patch playes only mpeg1/2 content. If you want a player to
> > watch mpeg1/2 films you can also use mythtv's player (use the command
> > 'mythtv %s' in mythvideo setup). This gives you synced audio, since
> > mythtv pushes the whole stream to the pvr's decoder. The Mplayer patch
> > will demplex the stream and send video to the decoder and audio to the
> > soundcard. While mplayer has the ability to play ac3 streams mythtv will
> > only play mpeg1/2 video with mp2 audio (and only if there is only one
> > video stream, so .vob files won't work in most cases)
>
> Given the above, is it possible to rip a DVD in such a way that
>
> 1. The video stream does not have to be re-encoded (ok for audio)
> 2. The resulting mpeg file is playable using mythtv on PVR-350 TV-out?
>
> Simply doing a "perfect" rip using MythDVD results in playable video (well, at
> least for the one DVD that I tried :-), but no audio. I presume this is because
> audio stays ac3 instead of being trascoded to mp2?

Yes, did that, with mencoder its the '-ovc copy' option for video and
the '-oac mp2' option for audio. Works fine. You'll have to look at the
manpage for further options (which you'll need for audio-bitrate)

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough