[mythtv] Alternative commercial flagging method

Javier Santos jsantos at infonegocio.com
Sun Jan 25 07:48:57 EST 2004

There is a thread in slashdot about commercial detection and skipping:

This is a fragment from one of the comments on that thread:

Actually, according to everything I've read, there is no actual increase of
sound decibels in commericals. Here is an example I cut and pasted from
somewhere..
"Technically, the maximum volume is the same for commercials and normal
programming. If you watch the audio levels on a VU meter you will see that
they peak at around the same level.

The difference is that advertisers make use of various tricks to make the
commercials seem louder. Whereas a TV program will have a range of audio
levels, commercials do tend to be full-on noisy. Tricks such as compression
are also used to maintain constantly "louder" levels and try to attract
attention.

So it's mainly a perceptual thing. Although the commercials don't reach a high
volume, the way they are made gives the impression that they are louder."

Hope it helps,

Javier Santos