[mythtv] I love mythtv, and some ideas (WEB, SHOUTCAST, DAILY COMICS)

Ian Lesnet ian at whereisian.com
Sat Jan 24 13:59:27 EST 2004

Aloha,

I love mythtv, it has changed the way I consume television.  I praise its greatness daily.  "I love you mythTV".

I got on board with version .12, and now eagerly await new releases.  It even got me to learn Linux!  Thanks to everyone that makes my love affair with Myth possible.

I have a few thoughts which I would like to share.  I will start working on some of the PHP suggestions in a few months when my dissertation is finished.

MythWeb Wishes:

I loaded phpmyadmin to look at the myth database and see how transcode/recording profiles functioned.  If the PHP were written in a simple way that I understood, I could probably make these changes, but with all the separate components, I am lost - mythweb is some fantastic PHP work - really suave.

1. Add a transcode button to the recorded programs listing.  This would just require inserting the listing info into the transcode table as far as I can tell.

2. Add a recording/transcoding profiles editor to mythweb.  Even access to exiting profiles, without the ability to add additional would be fantastic.

3. A check box next to search results with the option to "record marked once" at the end would be awesome.  I search for documentaries by category, then click to change settings, then click record once, then click advanced search, then search again, each time. If I could just check off 30 documentaries and record them all once....

4. The ability to return to a search after setting recording preferences.

MythTV wishes

I have my mythbox connected to a cheapy projector via SVGA.  When I go into setup, I can never tell if a check box is ticked off or not, it is so tiny and blurry when projected 5 feet by 6.5 feet on my dorm room wall.  I also have a hard time seeing the faint "box" within a button that indicates forward/back/cancel is selected, same with drop-down fields.

Myth "Radio" Idea (Shoutcast)

I have been using this great program I found on sourceforge called Station Ripper.  It rips shoutcast streams into individual, named mp3 files.  It will rip up to 200 stations at once, and really works the gigabit internet connection!  Its open source, so a lot of the work is done, perhaps this is something to consider creating a mythmodule for.  Maybe just for listening to shoutcast streams if the copyright issues are messy.

Myth Daily Comic Idea

A lot of comic strips are available on the web, and named logically by date (Dilbert.com for example).  Would it be possible to scrape comic jpgs and have daily, customizable comic subscriptions?  I get the impression that this is how the weather maps get into mythweather.

Mahalo Nui

Ian