[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

David Engel dlengel at attbi.com
Wed Jan 21 19:09:55 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:36:48PM +0000, Steve Davies wrote:
> I THINK the problem I was having is that the test now says "does the
> 'other' program lie inside the bounds of the 'current' program." If the
> method is called in reverse, then the meaning is negated. I might have been
> calling it with the parameters back-to-front.

The intent is to check if the times overlap, which I believe it does
correctly.  However, it occurred to me that some pre/post-roll cases
wouldn't be caught, e.g. the recording is stopped during the pre-roll
or is restarted during the post-roll.

The proper fix for this is probably to save the program's normal start
and end times in the record table along with the currently saved
recording start and end times.  Isaac, would object to such a change?

> One is the scenario where A overlaps B, and B overlaps C. The scheduler
> MIGHT disable A to allow B to record, and then disable B to allow C to
> record. A can now be recorded, so I have added a pass to check for
> auto-disabled programs which can be recorded after-all.
>
> There is also the case where conflict resolution fails, but there is an
> "rsOtherShowing" available that the scheduler missed because it was
> originally conflicting with something. The same pass finds these, and uses
> them if possible.

OK, those are cases I've wanted to look at but haven't gotten to yet.

Are you sure you can do it one pass?  My thinking was the algorithm
would need to iterative, e.g. whenever the scheduler chose to disable
one recording in favor of another, it should start over and re-evaluat
all remaining candidates since the conflicts will have changed.

It's unclear which conflicts should be resolved first.  Scheduling the
highest ranked program first is straight forward and very
determineistic.  However, as has been pointed out before, if the
highest ranked program has other showings available, moving it could
result in other programs with less flexibility to be recorded that
otherwise wouldn't.

David
--
David Engel