[mythtv] Widescreen support

Tom Howard tomhoward at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 20 20:43:09 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:38 am, John P. Poet wrote:
> This has already been done.  Set your "DisplaySize" in XF86Config to have a
> 16:9 ratio, and the widgets will scale accordingling.

Sorry if I don't quite understand.  Do you mean there is a section in the
XF86Config where you can say the screen aspect is 16:9?  Or do you simply
mean set the screen size to something like 854x480 and everything will just
work?

The later works in terms of the fonts and widgets, but the backgrounds and
icons are stretched (half truth.  I haven't changed my screen res to this,
but instead used the GUI Width and GUI Height options in MythTV).  I haven't
looked at the MythGallery, but I assume the pictures in there would be
stretched as well.   Also, this doesn't work if I'm outputting 640x480 to a
wide screen TV.  In this case, everything will be stretched in widescreen
mode.

Ideally what I would like to see (and am willing to try to implement) is full
widescreen support in MythTV.  This requires:

- The Screen Aspect Ratio option in the global settings.
- An option to specify the screen's aspect to mplayer et al (e.g.
'--monitoraspect %A', where %A is the screen aspect)
- An option to specify the aspect to mplayer el at of the currently displayed
movie/show if the information is not otherwise available or is incorrect(e.g.
--aspect %A, where %A is the movie/show aspect)
- A per recording option to specify the aspect of the movie/show.  This would
determine if and how the option above would be used.
- Support for widescreen themes.

With the above implemented, MythTV should be able to drive a Widescreen TV,
without the user having to switch the display between widescreen and normal.

Of course, I could be wrong about all this.  Fell free to tell me so.

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard