[mythtv] mythgallery

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 19 19:28:44 EST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, David Beccue wrote:

> I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1. Is there a special file that I can specify to be used as the picture
> for the folder.  It seems to use the first alphabetized one.  But
> perhaps we could use a special name like .folderpic.jpg or something
> like that to show on the folder, but not display with the rest of them.
> This would allow us to scale down a low-res and faster loading version
> of one of the more representative pictures in a folder, and yet not have
> to display a low-res (and out of order) picture in a slideshow.

two options here:
a) you can generate the thumbnail yourself and put it in .thumbcache in
the up-directory. for eg: say you have a folder /home/mythtv/A/B and you
want to have a custom thumbnail for B, make a thumbnail for B and put it
in /home/mythtv/A/.thumbcache . This thumbnail will have to be named B

b) mythgallery can take advantage of pre-generated thumbnails for gallery
(gallery.sf.net). you can fake mythgallery to think that folder B (as in
prev example) is a gallery folder by putting an empty file serialX.dat (X
being a number) and having a thumbnail ready for it with a name like
XXXX.highlight.jpg (XXXX being anything). remember this has to be a
thumbnail, not a full scale image. mythgallery will skip it in
slideshow/thumbnails/imageview

> 2. Has anyone started making a mythweb module for mythgallery?  It would
> be wonderful to be able to keep all my pictures on MythTV and publish
> them on the web simultaneously.  I may go ahead with this, if no one
> else has already started (or finished) it.

some people have managed to get gallery (gallery.sf.net) to work with
mythgallery. i would assume its not too much effort (and there is special
handling for gallery folders in mythgallery). the amount of effort needed
to have a mythweb module for mythgallery might not be trivial, but if you
are really motivated...

> 3. I'd like to delete certain pictures when viewing them by pressing the
> DELETE button on my remote control.  Is this already on your TODO list?
> Or is this something that I can write and submit to you for approval at
> some point?

its not on my TODO list and its not a feature which has been asked before.
i will have to have a substatial number of user requests before i will add
this. most people tend to have the mythgallery directory samba/nfs
exported and so deal with renaming/deleting/touching-up files separately
on other boxen.

renchi