[mythtv] Multiple tuner conflict resolution bug or feature?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Jan 18 20:34:05 EST 2004

David Engel wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 07:45:36PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>>Change the function that selects the card for live-TV so that
>>it chooses the last available card rather than the first
>>available card (only a few characters to change). The last
>

> I thought it was already doing this.

Nope. It goes through the list of cards keeping track of
the first available. However, it continues to look for a card
where the hostname matches the hostname of the requesting
frontend. So, it uses the first available on the same host
or if none, the first available anywhere.

>>all cards are in use. The scheduler then won't need to do
>>anything special to accommodate novice users who still think
>>they're supposed to channel surf ;-).
>

> I don't think so.  The idea is to find a (relatively simple) way of
> accomodating the desires of two different camps.  One camp wants
> everything recorded as soon as possible and if it uses all cards, then
> so be it.  The other camp wants to keep some number of cards unused if
> possible (save for live TV, they are lower quality, etc.) and if it
> means recording later showings of some programs, then do that.
>
> In the end, I think the scheduling algorithm is going to be the same
> for both cases -- the scheduler still needs to figure out how to
> record the desired programs given a limited number of cards.  The only
> difference is that in one case, the number of cards is a hard limit,
> and in the other case, it is a soft limit.

Earlier I had mentioned distinguishing LaterShowing and
EarlierShowing rather than just OtherShowing. I had mentioned
it in the context of showing the user the NoRecordChar on her
conflicts page so she can see that she could override to
record the first showing. However, this idea really came from
one approach for how the scheduler might address this issue.

Nova at 8pm Tue has conflicts
Nova at 3am Wed no conflicts
Nova at 2pm Sat has conflicts

Currently, Wed at 3 is good for card 1 so Tue and Sat are marked
OtherShowing. Instead, it could compare starttimes while pruning
and mark Tue as LaterShowing and Sat as EarlierShowing. Continue
with DoMultiCard as normal to finish resolving conflicts and
assigning cards. After DoMultiCard, make a list of all the L's
and compare them with the recording list. Check each L to see
if there is an unused card with an input for the sourceid. If so,
assign it to that card and remark the other duplicates again as
L or E. Sat at 2pm never needs to be reconsidered because in any
case, there already is any earlier showing scheduled.

If there are two cards and two other shows for 8pm Tue, the
result would be:

Nova at 8pm Tue = "L"
Nova at 3am Wed = "1"
Nova at 2pm Sat = "E"

If there are three cards and two other shows for 8pm Tue, the
result would be:

Nova at 8pm Tue = "3"
Nova at 3am Wed = "E"
Nova at 2pm Sat = "E"

If you wanted to impose the kind of limit you suggest above
you could only resolve L's up to card  <= N - 1 so that it
would not resolve L's onto card N.

If there are three cards and two other shows for 8pm Tue but
you want to try to reserve the last card, the result would be:

Nova at 8pm Tue = "L"
Nova at 3am Wed = "1"
Nova at 2pm Sat = "E"

If there are three cards and one other show for 8pm Tue and
you want to try to reserve the last card, the result would be:

Nova at 8pm Tue = "2"
Nova at 3am Wed = "E"
Nova at 2pm Sat = "E"

--  bjm