[mythtv] MPEG2->MPEG2 commercial cut code in CVS

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Sun Jan 18 12:08:23 EST 2004

Am So, den 18.01.2004 schrieb Geoffrey Hausheer um 16:54:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:38:46 +0100, "Torsten Schenkel" said:

> > Is libavformat the library that is used by mencoder with the -voc lavc
> > option? If so, and from what I know it is, the resulting files play fine
> > with the pvr350's decoder.
> >
> No, that is libavcodec.  libavcodec does the actual encoding, and as far
> as I know, it does a good job.  libavformat controls muxing (and
> demuxing) the audio and video streams, and the mpeg2 muxing support is
> pretty bad (the demuxer is quite good from my experience though).  So
> either (a) the ffmpeg team will improve libavformat enough that it
> creates good streams, or (b) I find another way to mux the streams
> together.

Thanks for the clarification. As far as I can tell the pvr350 decoder
isn't too picky about the stream it gets. For me it worked for all
encoders I tested (mencoder, ffmpeg, transcode) with no difference as
far as parameters are concerned. It even plays those mpeg2 avis
mencoders creates if you forget the -of option. What it is picky about
is aspect ratio. It will expand every stream to 4:3 regardless of the
original resolution. So widescreen avi has to be expanded to 4:3 while
transcoding to be played with the pvr350. Audio has to be mp2, but
that's according to standards, it won't play mp3 or pcm.

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough