[mythtv] Re:IR input ports on cable boxes -- how to drive?

David Shay david at shay.net
Sat Jan 17 20:07:52 EST 2004

>I have a SA 3100. Mine also has an IR port but from reading the information
on SA's web page it's strictly
>for controlling a vcr.  I just assumed that was the final word on the
matter.
>So just to understand, with the connection the Tivo, where did you schedule
your recordings from , the Tivo EPG or controls or
> from the cable box itself ?  SA sells some kind of blaster, that plugs
into the port of the 3100 and then has a blaster at the other
> end to dangle in front of the the vcr.

Yes, information out there on these boxes, such as
http://www.twrochester.com/images/kb/stguide2200.pdf clearly indicate that
the port is intended for their "VCR commander" service, which does appear to
be an "outbound" control port.  They must also be accepting input, though,
since the Tivo is able to control this -- clearly an undocumented feature of
the box.  The Tivo comes with an "IR blaster" and a port on the back where
this connects.  This enables it to control cable boxes and sattelite boxes
using the Tivo EPG and recording software -- you never use the
cable/satellite remote again; the Tivo controls it, much as I would like
MythTV to.

>From what I have been able to tell, it's probably fairly likely that both
the IR port on the 2200 and the Tivo IR port is a fairly standard serial
port mapped to a phono plug.  I suppose it's possible that I could just use
the cable from the Tivo (DB-9 to phono plug) and lirc_serial.