[mythtv] Re: Multiple tuner conflict resolution bug or feature?

Mark Chou mechou at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:34:12 EST 2004

I completely concur with the example Derek posted.  I've seen many times
where the current logic would leave a card empty (taking into account
"optimal tuner" scenario).

I'd really like to find a usage model that would work for almost
everyone, without making the code a complete nightmare to maintain.
Multiple tuner conflict resolution code is already pretty complicated as
it stands.  It's clear that there are at least two (default) modes of
use, those in the "best configuration" camp, and those in "record
earliest" camp.

Personally I find it real perverse (and ironic) that people w/ multiple
encoders would want to have (almost) everything recorded on a single
tuner.  That's like going to the grocery store which has 5 checkouts
open but insisting _everyone_ use that one "express" checkout.....

Thanks,
Mark

Derek Atkins wrote:

Let's stick with your example, but add a third card. I've seen
it end up with:

8:00
card1: Idol
card2: Morgan
card3: <empty>
3:00
card1: Nova

It is *THIS* situation that I'm asking about. I see no reason to
leave an encoder blank like this (especially when they are all
equivalent cards). Why didn't it end up with card3: Nova? And yes,
all cards have access to the same channel inputs.