[mythtv] DVB EPG (Patch as requested)

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Wed Jan 14 05:32:16 EST 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 09:55, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> I have seen the now/next showing information for the wrong DAY from time to
> time...  I would suspect that it just rolls over at the required time, and
> only if you have a schedule change will you be able to see that it's
> "sometimes" right.

When you saw it showing the wrong day, was that in the DVB stream or your old
digital tuner?
Reason I ask is because I suspect the software in the dedicated tuners is,
ahem, less than optimal. For example in the past I had the EPG information
displaying about 15 minutes delayed. Turning the unit off and on fixed the
problem... hence I assumed the internal clock was dodgy and needed resetting.

> I think you shouldn't assume that it is accurate, just read the date/time
> and assume the worst.

I'll experiment and see how accurate it is... I was thinking of augmenting the
scheduler so that if it sees a program to be recorded as the next program in
the EPG it waits until it flips to current before recording. If it doesn't
see it then it just records manually as now.
(well I'll printf messages for now anyway!)

> Terrestrial TV used to have indicators for video recorders showing when the
> program started and ended though.  I wonder if this signalling is also
> being used in Freeview?  I notice that a few advert breaks still have the
> flashing white/black square in the top right of the screen, however, not
> all use this...

Yes the terrestrial TV channels put out PDC signalling information in the
teletext block, which can then be picked up by PDC video recorders.
Allegedly a couple of UK Freeview channels still transmitting the old PDC
signals, although, that is just anecdotal off some website so I don't know.

--
Ivor Hewitt.
http://www.ivor.it - Wireless networking and techie bits.