[mythtv] More recording profiles? (revisited)

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:10:04 EST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:11:36 -0800, "Chris Petersen"
<o8f8hesx3k0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> > I dunno.  I really like the the way the current stuff works.  Just seems
> > really easy to use to me..  If enough other developers feel otherwise,
> > though, sure, something like what you proposed could work.
>
> My proposal was basically a way to have the best of both worlds - assure
> that there are matching hardware/software/transcode settings for each
> profile, and still allow for as many different profiles as the user
> wanted.
>
> BUT, since I can't do anything about it, I'll leave it be.  Just seems a
> little weird that the add-profile code is still in place if it doesn't
> actually do anything.

We had this discussion before I did the profile-group implementation.
Search the lists if you're curious.  Isaac made a very convincing arument
that 4 profiles would be enough for almost everyone, and that by adding
new profile groups, you could get 4 more per card-type per machine.

So basically, you have 4 profile groups per recording-card (except in the
case that you have lots of the same card in each machine).  If that's not
enough, I'd be curious why not.

It is somewhat tricky to allow the user to add new profiles.  We could
hard-code the number to 6 or 8 or whatever, but allowing the user to add
new ones would be messy (not so much from a code persepctive as from an
ease-of-use perspective....it just won't play nice with the
profile-groups).  In any case, you'll need to convince Isaac, and I must
say I'm very happy with the way it works today as well.

.Geoff