[mythtv-users] [mythtv] More recording profiles? (revisited)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Jan 11 03:06:58 EST 2004

> I looked at doing something similar although I was more interested in simply
> changing the names of the profiles to something that was a bit more
> meaningful to me. Specifically I wanted a "Auto Transcode" profile to
> automatically transcode a DVB recording.

Well, I think they were originally changed to make sure that every
profile would have equivalents across different encoders, transcoders,
etc.  But they left us with only 4 options - default, live tv, high and
low...   We can add more profiles (but not access them) when in reality
we need the ability to add more subprofiles.  Like in my case, I'd like
to have a "really low quality" or something like that.  I can see this
being especially important for people who transcode to other formats..
You could have 3-4 "high quality" profiles that all record at the same
quality, but transcode to completely different qualities/sizes,
including one that doesn't actually change from the recorded setting,
for cutting out commercials without reencoding.

Wouldn't a better organization of profiles be something along the lines
of:

Profile X
    settings for v4l card
    settings for mpeg2 card
    settings for transcoding
Profile Y
    settings for v4l card
    settings for mpeg2 card
    settings for transcoding

This way, we could create as many profiles as we want, but there would
still be guaranteed settings for software/hardware/transcode for each
profile.  The interface could stay pretty much the same, but essentially
the order of the menus would change - you'd first select
"high/low/whatever" and *then* choose v4l/hardware/transcode.

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer