[mythtv] High CPU usage with CVS version

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Sat Jan 3 16:26:10 EST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

> I'm having a problem with the latest CVS version.  I'm using a bttv card
> encoding to mpeg4 with mp3 audio.  If I try to watch a video that is
> currently being recorded then the frontend uses an abnormally high amount
> of CPU (over 50% - it usually uses 10 - 20%).  Watching Live TV works
> fine, and watching the video once it has been recorded seems to work ok.

Looks like the information I gave here wasn't entirely accurate, so to
clarify:

- If I watch live TV then the frontend uses about 10% CPU time.
- If I'm watching live TV and it starts a scheduled recording (so the
player switches from live TV to playing a prerecorded show automatically)
then the frontend still only uses about 10% CPU.
- If I start watching a prerecorded show (whether it is still being
recorded or not) then the frontend uses 35 - 50% CPU (which means that if
it's recording at the same time the backend doesn't get enough CPU time)

Once it has made an automatic switch from live tv to wathcing a scheduled
recording, isn't it then handled in exactly the same way as if I had
selected a recording to watch from the "watch recordings" screen?  What
could cause the extra CPU usage?
Is it possible that the thumbnail video on the watch recordings screen is
still being played in the background? (that uses about 25% CPU time on my
system, so 25% + 10% = 35% so it'd be about right)

If I watch live TV and let it start a scheduled recording, so it
automatically switches over to watching the recording (10% CPU usage) and
then exit the playback and select exactly the same recording from the
"watch recordings" screen, it plays it with 35-50% CPU usage instead.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/