[mythtv] Anyone working on direct MPEG2 encoding?

Ed Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Thu Jan 1 18:53:17 EST 2004

>But the mpeg2 -> mpeg2 is really for those who have a hardware encoding
>capture card (or a dvb or hdtv card) as an alternative to doing a mpeg2
>-> mpeg4/rtjpeg first, to be able to do commercial cutting.

Have you seen that there is a new technique out, commonly referred to as
tcrequent.  The basic idea is to keep the motion vectors from the
initial encode (which is the slow bit to calculate) and just change the
quantisation level.  The upshot is that you can "reencode" your mpeg2
stream pretty much as fast as you can read and write the data.

I think it's mostly being used by the DVD "backup" folks as a very fast
(and presumably high quality) way to shrink a 9GB DVD to a 5GB dvd.

The code is included in transcode as tcrequent, but I'm not very
familiar with it.  However, if you wanted an mpeg2->mpeg2 technique I
would think this was worth a look?