[mythtv] Porting the Backend to Windows

Marc Gagnon omnipotent at videotron.ca
Fri Feb 27 11:10:07 EST 2004

I am presently evaluating seting up a MythTV system at home.  It looks
like a great system; just what I need (almost).

Unfortunately, to keep cost low, my backend server would have to run on an
already existing Windows XP box.  Please save your breath (and bandwidth)
on trying to convince me that Linux is better; you would be preaching to
the already converted (I'm a strong Linux advocate and run it on every
other PC I own).

Has anyone ported the backend to Windows (with Cygwin, from scratch, or by
simulation)?  If not, could someone tell me how the frontend communicates
with the backend for each functionality?  I'm just looking for an overview
to evaluate how much work is needed to fool the frontend in thinking that
my Windows box is a legit MythTV backend.  I'll probably use WinTVCap
(wintvcap.sourceforge.net) for the actual encoding with a WinTV PVR-250
card on the Windows box.

The frontend will probably be an XBox.

Thanks for your help.