[mythtv] zap2it 'labs'

Arthur Britto ahbritto at iat.com
Mon Feb 23 19:24:29 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 15:55, mmcconnell at uniserve.com wrote:
> I believe you consent to archive by joining the list, your claim would be
> thrown out (-;

I am making no claim.

I was merely pointing out current law.

Pointing out current law does not mean I agree with it.

The points that many seem to be missing are:
(1) All messages authored in the US have the same rights unless they are
waived.
(2) This is true for every one, not just me.
(3) Explicitly stating implied rights should be harmless and may raise
awareness of the issue.
(4) My original intent for my default signature was for FRIENDS to ask
me before redistributing my messages.  Rather than by default assuming
all messages to be meant for redistribution.

Perhaps, if more people were aware of the law, it would be changed.

As far as consent goes, the only way to transfer copyrights is through
written assignment.   Although, copyright infringement is defined to
cause irreparable harm.  I doubt archivers have anything to really worry
about as it would be very hard to show actual harm.

-Arthur
--
Copyright (c) 2004 Arthur Britto, All Rights Reserved, Redistribution of this message requires written permission.