[mythtv] New patch: Event log in database

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 12:54:00 EST 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 10:59, Matt White wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 February 2004 14:18, Matt White wrote:
> >>Attached is an updated patch.  This version uses the same priority
> >>numbering as Unix syslog (thanks, Denys).
> >>
> >>I thought I had figured out how to include new files with a CVS
> >>diff, but apparently not.  cvs -uwN diff still ignores those
> >>files.  I've tried on my own CVS server, and you need to do an
> >>cvs add first, which I can't do without write access to the Myth
> >>CVS tree.  Therefore, I'm including the two new files that come
> >>with the patch (including one that I forgot before):
> >
> > You don't need CVS write access to 'cvs add' a file.  'cvs add'
> > only affects your local tree; it's only when you 'cvs commit' the
> > added files that you would need write access.
>
> That's what I assumed; however:
>
> %borris% echo $CVSROOT
>
> :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:2401/var/lib/mythcvs
>
> %borris% cvs add contrib/mythmaillog.pl
>                                    cvs [server aborted]: "add"
> requires write access to the repository
>
> Using cvs v1.11.11.

Hmmm, yeah... I just did a little research, and it appears that it's a
bug in CVS.  You're not *supposed* to need write access to do an add...
in fact, you *don't* need write access if your CVSROOT is a locally
mounted file system.  However, it seems for :pserver: access (and
probably :ssh: as well), the cvs client has a bug when it comes to
adding files.

You can fool CVS into thinking you added a file locally by adding an
entry to the CVS/Entries file in the appropriate directory, like so:

(file mythtv/contrib/CVS/Entries):
/mythmaillog.pl/0/Initial mythmaillog//

-JAC